To become a Bar or Bat Mitzvah is a moment of immense pride: for youth, the congregation and the larger Jewish community. It is a major milestone in one's development as a Jew and as a person.
The following are the Goals of the Bar and Bat Mitzvah programs at Mizpah Congregation.
- Attain religious, moral, ethical, spiritual, intellectual and emotional potential.
- Encourage and inspire youth to pursue ongoing/lifelong Jewish learning.
- Develop within the youth a Jewish view of the world [mitzvot, tikkun olam, chesed] Enhance appreciation and understanding of Torah, Avodah, G'mlut Chasadim.
- Enhance appreciation and understanding of God, Torah, Israel – three pillars of Judaism.
- Develop skills and confidence to serve as lay leaders: to chant/recite prayers, melodies, understand and explain liturgy, write and deliver a D'var Torah.
- Acquire a position of pride and responsibility in the Chattanooga Jewish Community.
- To become a role model and exemplar within the Jewish and larger community.
- Increase youth involvement in the life of Mizpah: as a madrich, Youth Group member, Confirmation Student, participation in Temple Committee work and Torah Study.
For additional information regarding Requirements, Parent Responsibility, Schedule of Study, Learning Content, Fees and Bar/Bat Mitzvah Projects, please contact the office.
Bar and Bat Mitzvah opportunities are also open to adults. Please contact the office for further information.